Monday, June 27, 2011

Surprise. . .surprise

So I had another topic planned for today but it will have to wait because life placed a better topic right in my lap at church Sunday.  As most of you know, I have now made the official move to my new church and attend there every Sunday. 
As I drive by the front door to park I see a man that seems so familiar to me.  I can’t place him but I know I have seen him. . .now before I jump to any conclusions, I tell myself that he is probably a regular that I saw last Sunday.  Then I see him walking right toward me smiling.
Do you remember me?

Um. . . Dang, I knew that he was familiar, but I don’t know why!

We met at First Presbyterian, I left you a note. . .

Lightbulb!!!  Ha, do you who he is?  Yes, oh yes. . .he is the 60 year old love noter!  

I heard you were here and I wanted to stop by and see you one more time.

Oh, of course.  Randall . . .right?  

Yes, I was so disappointed that the really pretty Sunday School teacher had left. And I wanted to see you again, I heard that you were up here so I came by just to see you again.  What do you do here?

I am the Youth Minister and I work with the middle schoolers and high schoolers.

That is great, I just got back from Mexico with a high school group and it was a great trip.  You have got a great job here.

I really do.  I can tell that this is not just a visit in an "official church capacity", but I really don't want to encourage a 60 year old man to hit on me. . .so my replies are very slow and short.

But I will sure miss seeing you every week.  I would see you on Sunday but I never got the nerve to say hi to you.  But I did leave a note on your desk.

Uh.. . . What is the appropriate response to that?

Well, here is my card and I really hope you call sometime.  I am a handy man so I could work on your house or we could grab a cup of coffee sometime.  

Thanks, do you live around here?  

No.  I moved here a few years ago to help out my parents so I live with them in Lely.

Um, did you notice that he lives with his parents?

Well, that is quite a drive up here.

Yes, but it was a beautiful drive and like I said, I wanted to see you.  I better go but I really hope you call.

Um. . .Ok.  I probably should have said. . .um. . .no, but I was in so much shock and I just really wanted the conversation to end.  Plus I don't think my backbone is that developed yet to be mean to a guy who is trying so hard to get my attention. . .even if we all know that this is not a good love match!
Who else in the world does this happen to?  Besides me???
Let’s take a moment to break it down bit by bit –
First – I never forget a face!  I may not be able to remember why I know the face, but I never forget it.  Today it would have been useful to not only recognize the face but to know why it was familiar.  Perhaps I could have prepared myself and come up with more response than uh and um and oh!
Secondly -  let’s not forget that he is 60 years old (not that I have let you forget that little nugget of info), that leaves love notes and lives with his parents.  So for those who thought he would be my sugar daddy when he originally left the note. . .um, yea that is not going to happen!
Thirdly -  if this were a cute guy that was in my age range I would have asked him to sit with me during church, gone to brunch with him following, had plans for another date and may even be planning a spring wedding!  How hot is it that a guy would take the effort to find out where you went and wanted to see you again just for the chance to see you?  Now that is the kind of wooing I am talking about!  Why can’t guys in the mid thirties to mid fourties offer up that kind of pursuit?  Sadly we must remember that this guy is 1 year younger than my mother!!
Finally -  what else is there to say?  Besides. . .holy crap!  I thought my love noter was over with the love note. . .but oh no!  And I have a feeling this is not over yet so I will keep you all posted of what happens next. . .you must know already that it will be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment