Friday, June 17, 2011

Unrequited Like

You know the worst thing about dating is unrequited love. . .well more specifically unrequited like. . unrequited attraction?  Ok, let me just tell you what I am talking about without trying to be fancy.  You know, that moment when you see someone and you think to your self that it sure would be nice to get to know this guy a little more but then they just don’t seem to have the same thought. 
I was out with friends recently listening to an average band but enjoying the above average company of my friends more. 
Hey, that guy over there is totally checking you out. 
I scan the crowd and sure enough there is a guy looking right at me.  As soon as I caught him looking, he looked away.  He is cute, maybe 40 (much closer to my age than grandpa from the last blog!), dark hair, no ring on the important finger. . .so I am excited that he is checking me out. 
He’s cute!
Yea, but I don’t know.  I say pretending that I don’t care that he is looking at me but hoping on the inside that I will get to talk to him.   
As the night goes on I keep waiting for some move from him but all I get is the across the room eye lock and that flirty half smile.  I give him the flirty half smile back then we drop our eye lock and go back to talking to our friends, this exchange happens several times. 
Finally it is getting late and my friends and I are leaving, I see him watching me as we gather up our stuff and make our way to the exit.  I give him one more smile then I am gone. . .never to see him again!
Here’s what I would like to know. . .what is that?   Did I read the signs wrong?  I don’t think so.   Was he really not interested?  This was a whole evening of across the room flirt only to have it wasted because it didn’t develop into. . . well anything!  Why wouldn’t he make a move?  Doesn’t every guy know that when a girl reciprocates the eye lock and smile that it is the green light to move in?  Perhaps my male readers could help me better understand what was happening.   And perhaps offer a bit of advice. . . Maybe I am not as good at the flirty smile as I thought I was?   Maybe I should practice at home like in middle school when I would practice kissing on my hand?  Ha!  No, I don't think I will go that far. . .
Ahhh, well. . .unrequited like. . .another hiccup in the road of dating!

No comments:

Post a Comment